Why is this a question at the moment? Easy, if there aren’t many players that are ‘locks’ on the Jets roster, it plays to the belief that Maccagnan and the Jets will try to get the most draft picks possible in the 2017 draft by trading down and/or trading assets.
Here is a look at the players who will almost certainly make the team, compared to the players who will have to earn their place.
Locks:  (Either for performance, salary implications, recently signed or extended – also, only a roster spot, this season all starting jobs will be won in camp)
- QB: Josh McCown
- OL: Kelvin Beachum, Brian Winters, James Carpenter, Ben Ijalana, Brandon Shell, Wesley Johnson
- WR: Quincy Enunwa, Robbie Anderson
- RB: Matt Forte, Bilal Powell
- DL: Leonard Williams, Muhammad Wilkerson
- LB: Darron Lee, Josh Martin, Jordan Jenkins
- DB: Morris Claiborne, Buster Skrine, Marcus Williams, Juston Burris
Likely to stay unless traded or replaced with a cheaper option:
- David Harris, Eric Decker, Sheldon Richardson, Calvin Pryor, Marcus Gilchrist
Earn their spot: 
- QB: Christian Hackenberg, Bryce Petty
- RB: Brandon Wilds, Romar Morris, Brandon Burks, Chris Swain, Julian Howsare
- WR: Devin Smith, Charone Peake, Quinton Patton, Jalin Marshall, Frankie Hammond, Myles White, Darius Jennings, Deshon Fox
- OL: Jeff Adams, Craig Watts, Brent Qvale, Donald Hawkins, Dakota Dozier
- TE: Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Eric Tomlinson, Braedon Bowman, Jason Vander Laan
- LS: Tanner Purdum, Josh Latham, Zach Triner
- DL: Deon Simon, Steve McClendon, Lawrence Thomas, Mike Pennel, Claude Pelon, Julien Obioha, Anthony Johnson, Brandin Bryant, Kenny Anunike
- LB: Lorenzo Mauldin, Josh Luc, Corey Lemonier, Randell Johnson, Freddie Bishop, Julian Stanford, Frank Beltre
- DB: Rontez Miles, Dexter McDougle, Ronald Martin, Doug Middleton, Nick Marshall, Bryson Keeton, Darryl Roberts
- K: Chandler Catanzaro, Ross Martin
- P: Lachlan Edwards
This is the cold reality of the Jets roster right now. When training camp comes around, players on the team will not only earn their playing time, but their job. Less than half of the 53 man roster is assured a spot. Yes, many of the players under the ‘Earn their spot’ category will be on the team, but they will have to do so against draft picks and undrafted free agents.
After last season, the Jets finally came around to the rebuild they had been putting off for several years. With players like Sheldon Richardson & Calvin Pryor as tradeable assets, the team could potentially acquire four combined draft picks in return.
With so many roster spots to fill, it is plausible players on the Jets roster could be moved. If this draft is as deep as most pundits and teams claim, it is very likely the Jets will actively try to acquire more draft picks.