With all of the players the Jets have been meeting with leading up to the draft, can fans read in to who the Jets will select? No, not based on Maccagnan’s two previous drafts.
In 2015 the Jets met with:
- QB Marcus Mariota, Oregon
- QB Jameis Winston, Florida State
- QB Brett Hundley, UCLA
- QB Garrett Grayson, Colorado State
- QB Bryce Petty, Baylor
- WR Vince Mayle, Washington State
- WR Kevin White, West Virginia
- WR DeVante Parker, Louisville
- WR Breshad Perriman, Central Florida
- WR Amari Cooper, Alabama
- OT Tyson Chandler, N.C. State
- OT Andrus Peat, Stanford
- OT Ereck Flowers, Miami
- DE/OLB Shane Ray, Missouri
- OLB Eli Harold, Virginia
- DE Randy Gregory, Nebraska
- OLB/DE Dante Fowler Jr, Florida
- OLB Bud Dupree, Kentucky
- DE/OLB Vic Beasley, Clemson
- LB Jeff Luc, Cincinnati
- DE Nate Orchard, Utah
- CB Ronald Darby, Florida State
- CB Marcus Peters, Washington
Who did they select of the group – Bryce Petty and Leonard Williams.
In 2016 they met with:
- QB Jared Goff, California
- DE Noah Spence
- DL A’Shawn Robinson, Alabama
- LB Deion Jones, LSU
- TE Nick Vannet, Ohio State
- CB Rashard Robinson, LSU
- QB Christian Hackenberg, Penn State
- QB Paxton Lynch, Memphis
- LB Shaq Lawson, Clemson
The only potential tell that Maccagnan has is scouting quarterbacks – Both Petty and Hackenberg were heavily scouted by the team. They weren’t the only QBs that the Jets scouted heavily though each year. A quarterback will likely be a selection in 2017 by the Jets, but who is obviously a mystery.
Obviously there is a big difference in how many players had scheduled visits or names that were connected to the Jets. It would seem that this could be attributed to who members of the Jets are comfortable acknowledging met for a visit as well as the position of where New York is drafting. The higher the Jets pick, the more names associated with them.
Who have the Jets met with this year? Senior Bowl visits and pre-draft visits.
- QB Mitchell Tribusky, North Carolina
- QB DeShone Kizer, Notre Dame
- QB Davis Webb, California
- QB DeShaun Watson, Clemson
- QB Patrick Mahomes, Texas Tech
- WR Chris Godwin, Penn State
- DT, Rashaad Coward, Old Dominion
- LB Brandon Bell, Penn State
- LB Charles Harris, Missouri
- LB Tim Williams, Alabama
- DB Kevin King, Washington
- DB Damontae Kazee, San Diego State
- DB Gareon Conley, OSU
- S Josh Jones, North Carolina State
- S Malik Golden, Penn State
- S Jamal Adams, LSU
- S Malik Hooker, OSU
What is not readily available is the scouts and coaches that attended pro days or who they were looking at. Can anything be read into who the Jets meet with: again, not really. Most of the decisions are made from film study and phone calls to individual coach & scout connections.
Due diligence is a cliche at this point. In reality, most visits are just contingencies in case a certain player falls to them or mere counter-intelligence. Most players that are scheduled for visits are 1st and 2nd round talents. They generally have the longest careers in a class and are most likely to start. It stands to reason then that teams would want to gather as much information as they can when they inevitably play against them.
Who will the Jets take? The answers will be revealed in just a couple weeks.